Interview Question: How do you handle difficulty in the pharmacy?

interview pharmacy technician confrontationQ: How do you deal with conflict? Have you successfully worked with a difficult person in a pharmacy setting?

Strategies

The strategy here is to let the interviewer know that in conflict there are things you can control and things that you cannot, especially in a pharmacy setting. One thing you can control in conflicts is your emotions. In essence you can exercise self-control. Trying to control someone else’s feelings is a losing battle and not one you should entertain. I would add here that it is incumbent upon you to control yourself. That is an act of maturity. Another thing you can control is the framework that you operate within on a daily basis. What I am saying here is what rules do you live by that will influence how you will deal with conflict when it arises. I have personally made three rules that I live by and I present those to the panel. My rules are don’t think more highly of yourself than you should, treat other pharmacy technicians like you want to be treated, and refuse to be offended. Let the interviewer know that when you choose to control yourself and live by your three rules, 90% of conflict goes away. However, that leaves 10% of the time that you will need to find a solution to a conflict. 10% of the times you will need to rely on good communication to resolve the conflict. It is key to mention that you will try to handle the matter at the lowest level possible within the chain of command. Another thing I have done over the years that has served me well is to always critique in private but praise in public.

Example

First, let me say that conflict has more to do with me as a pharmacy technician than anything else. When a conflict of any kind arises I have to make some choices. I realize that I can only control my emotions and myself and to try and control someone else’s emotions is a losing battle. So I choose to control my emotions and myself first. I live by three rules. First, I don’t think more highly of myself than I ought to. Second, I treat other pharmacy techs like I would like to be treated. Finally I refuse to be offended. I have found that if I choose to control myself and live by my rules 90% of conflict will resolve. Now that leaves 10% of the time I am going to have to deal with conflicts. The key here is communication. If at all possible with dialogue I am hoping to resolve the conflict at the lowest level between myself and the other party. If this is not an option I will utilize my chain of command and bring the matter to the next person in the chain for mediation. Again, conflict is 90% about my attitude and my emotions. If I continue to realize this and live by my rules conflict should be rare.